This post contains the “roadmap” of future features to implement for upcoming versions, as of the release of 0.1 Alpha.
0.2 – Gameplay & Code
- Major code tidy-up, commenting, namespaces, et cetera.
- New, cleaner group purchase/deployment system
- Gameplay balancing of ship/weapon types and the example scenarios.
- Mission system and tutorials / instant action mode.
- New ship types: probe and drone.
- Homing missiles; weapon group system.
- Click-selection of ship groups.
- Quitting to menu, with confirmation dialogue.
- Minor AI improvements (tweaks & stances affect whether move orders are ignored)
0.3 – Visuals & Content
- Better-looking ship models – more variety.
- Better-looking particle effects.
- Better collision detection (use of hirerarchical bounding volumes for ships, stations, etc)
- New ship types and weapon types; redesign of maps; gameplay balancing.
- Sphere with ripple effect (shader) for ship shields on projectile impact.
- Rotating planets and bodies.
- A smaller version of the interface font.
0.4 – AI (Intermediate)
- Some further code tidy-up and restructuring, particularly for the entity/body systems
- Tweaks and improvements of the ship and group AI.
- Type-specific collision avoidance – e.g. minor projectiles only dodged in Evasive/Passive stances.
- Use above system also for friendly fire avoidance.
- AI can select weapon groups.
- Tweaks and improvements to target selection.
- Tweaks and improvements of the strategic AI
- Better action evaluation for purchasing – e.g. last-ditch purchasing, saving up
- Add small random elements into pre-set AI
- Improve, tweak and verify the abstract state.
- Many minor improvements
0.5 Onwards (TBC)
- 3D sound and background music
- Dynamic group creation and arbitrary move orders via the mouse
- More maps and scenarios; dynamic map layout & label positioning (instead of using config values)
- Map editor mode
- Automatic map generator
- Story mode (full-featured mission system; communications/conversation system; docking; saving)
- Predictive and adaptive strategic AI, achieved by finishing, testing and tweaking the Logic Engine
- Networked multiplayer mode